The President of the Republic, Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo, has constituted a 9-member Committee, chaired by the distinguished diplomat and former Secretary to the Cabinet, Ambassador Annan A. Cato, to see to the organisation of a State Funeral for former Secretary General of the United Nations, Mr. Kofi Annan.
President Akufo-Addo took the decision to honour this great son of Ghana, following the formal announcement to him of the death, on 18th August, 2018, of Mr. Kofi Annan by his family, on Friday, 24th August, 2018, at Jubilee House.
The Committee, constituted in consultation with his widow, Mrs Nane Maria Annan, his children and family of the late UN Secretary General, has the following other members:
• Hon. Cecilia Abena Dapaah – Minister for Sanitation and Water
• Hon. Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, MP – Minister-designate for Information
• Ambassador Mercy Debrah Karikari – Secretary to the Cabinet
• Ambassador Ahmed Hassan – Director of State Protocol
• Mr. Samuel Kumah – Chief of Protocol at the Ministry of
• Brigadier General Charles Awity– Director General, Personnel
Administration of the Ghana Armed
• Ambassador Patrick Hayford – Retired UN official
• Mr. Kojo Annan– Son of the late Mr. Kofi Annan.
Nana Mensah, Director of Protocol at the Office of the Vice President, will act as Secretary to the Organising Committee.
The State Funeral of Mr. Kofi Annan will be held on Thursday, 13th September, 2018.