Three fishermen have been reported dead with three others in critical condition after they were caught up by fire when mixing their premix fuel to fill their outboard motors for fishing on Friday morning at Kormantse No. 2 in the Eastern region.
According to the chief fisherman in the area, Nana Egya Afful, the three men identified as Nana Kojo, 38, Nana Tawiah, 18, and Kwamena, 17, poured the fuel close to a fire being used for cooking.
“There was a naked fire being used for cooking so when the premix fuel got in contact with the fire, they could not escape the fire. The three other people, Egya Takyi, Uncle Arhin and Uncle Kojo, who are also in critical condition, have been transferred from the Cape Coast Teaching Hospital to Korle-Bu Teaching Hospital,” the chief fisherman narrated in Twi.
Mr Afful is appealing to the fishermen to stop keeping premix fuel in their rooms and not use naked lights like lantern, but rather use torchlight when they are pouring out premix fuel for work.