A total of 24 Ebola patients reportedly absconded from a treatment center earlier this week in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The now viral reports have left many in fear as the risk of the deadly virus spreading is known to be high as health officials raced to trace anyone they may have encountered.
According to the ministry, the patients had to flee when the treatment center came under attack by people protesting the cancellation of Sunday’s presidential election in the eastern city.
Ministry spokeswoman, Jessica Ilunga told Reuters that 17 of the patients had already tested negative for Ebola, while seven had not yet been tested. Ilunga said that three patients had already returned to the center while health workers were in contact with 17 others to coordinate their return.
Health officials have addresses and phone numbers for the remaining four, she added.